Gutierrez confirms talks with Sauber and Manor

ยฉ XPB 

Esteban Gutierrez says he has already opened talks with Sauber and Manor over vacant seats at each team for the 2017 F1 season.

Having been part of the Haas line-up this year, Gutierrez was informed he would be leaving the team during the Brazilian Grand Prix weekend, with Kevin Magnussen replacing him alongside Romain Grosjean.

With Force India, Renault and Haas all confirming their 2017 line-ups in the days leading up to the race at Interlagos, Gutierrez is only left with race seats available at Sauber and Manor, with both teams yet to announce either of its drivers. Ahead of confirming his departure from Haas, the Mexican driver felt the delay had hurt his chances of securing a seat elsewhere on the grid.

Having been seen in conversation withย Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn in the Interlagos paddock on Sunday morning and also visiting the team's garage, Gutierrez confirmed toย F1iย the meeting wasย about next season.

"You know what the two options are that are available, so we are in talks with them," Gutierrez said. "Nothing is really decided yet but I think in the next week we will see some progress."

Asked if he has been speaking toย Manor as well as Sauber, Gutierrez replied: "Yes, as well."

Gutierrez has previously suggested he has options outside of F1 for next season, but it is understood his preference is to secure a race seat at either Sauber or Manor, having previously been a Sauber driver in 2013 and 2014.

Scene at the Brazilian Grand Prix

Quotes of the week - Interlagos

2016 Brazilian Grand Prix - Driver ratings

FULL REPORT: Hamilton wins delayed Brazilian GP to take title to wire

Keep up to date with all the F1 news viaย Facebookย andย Twitter