home icon / F1 News, Reports and Results / Halo doesn't look too bad after all - Sainz

Halo doesn't look too bad after all - Sainz


Carlos Sainz says Renault did a good job integrating the Halo into its R.S.18 design and reckons the device will go unnoticed by drivers after a handful of laps.

Earlier this week at Enstone , the French team presented its 2018 car which it hopes will allow it to continue its progress up the grid.

Along with Renault team mate Nico Hulkenberg, Sainz will put the R.S.18 through its paces next week in Barcelona when pre-season testing kicks off.

The Spanish driver isn't expecting any issues with the Halo, either on the aerodynamic front or as an element which could obstruct a drivers' vision.

"I think it can be an effective device,” Sainz said.

"As drivers, we will have to adapt to it, 20 laps or so in testing should be enough time.

"The engineers will see how it affects aerodynamics. I have seen the work done in the wind tunnel back in the factory but now we need to test its behaviour on track.

"Visually, I don’t think the halo looks too bad once it has been integrated in the car. We will all get used to it and it will be normal fairly quickly."

The 23-year-old starts his first full season with the Renault squad following his end-of-season transfer from Toro Rosso last year, but insists the team is still very much a work in progress, with results hard to predict at this stage.

"The general approach is to work harder every day to continue on a positive trend," Sainz said at the R.S.18's launch on Tuesday.

"For sure, the main target is to take a step forward, both me as a driver and the whole team. It’s difficult to predict how big that step will be.

"I’m confident, as I have been pushing hard during the winter and I know everyone at the factory is giving their very best," he added.

"I’m convinced this is going to be an exciting season."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter