home icon / F1 News, Reports and Results / Renault fuels more contention with Budkowski appointment

Renault fuels more contention with Budkowski appointment

©WRI2

Renault has confirmed that former FIA tech chief Marcin Budkowski will join the team as its Executive Director, a move which will only fuel more contention with its rivals.

Rumors of the former FIA official's move to the French outfit emerged last week in Malaysia and prompted an immediate reaction from F1's major teams.

Team bosses convened in Sepang on Saturday to discuss Renault's initiative which they perceived as completely inappropriate given the amount of proprietary information Budkwoski had been privy to as the FIA's top technical official.

The French manufacturer is undertaking an aggressive push with regard to boosting its staff and it clearly considers hiring Budkowski a major coup.

'Budkowski will be responsible for overseeing all activities related to the development and production of the chassis,' a team statement read.

"Marcin's mission will be to continue the growth of Enstone in order to allow Renault to join the leading teams by 2020 by relying on personalities whose skills are no longer to be demonstrated, like Bob Bell, Nick Chester or Rob White," said Renault chief Cyril Abiteboul.

"This arrival is excellent news and a further proof of our determination to carry out our project."

Budkowski resigned from the FIA only last week and is currently on gardening leave for three months, with Renault not revealing when his new job will begin.

A former aerodynamist with Prost Grand Prix, Budkowski later moved to McLaren to head its aero department in 2012.

Changes at the Woking-based outfit ahead of its partnership with Honda forced the engineer to move, and he accepted teh role of Technical and Sport Coordinator for the FIA in F1.

Red Bull Racings Christian Horner summed up the teams' stance on the controversial issue involving Budkowski.

"Only two weeks ago, this man was in our wind tunnel and we were talking to him about suspension systems," Horner told Sky F1.

Mercedes' Toto Wolff shared a similar view on the matter.

"I don't think it's correct because he's had access to a lot of information," said Wolff.

"Especially from Mercedes so he will tell everybody else."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter