home icon / F1 News, Reports and Results / Is Sainz camp fueling 'Verstappen to Ferrari' rumors?

Is Sainz camp fueling 'Verstappen to Ferrari' rumors?

© XPB 

The Sainz family is being accused of manufacturing rumors involving Max Verstappen and destined to upset the Dutch driver's relationship with Red Bull Racing.

Indeed, a story which emerged in the past month is placing Verstappen at the gates of Maranello, with Spanish newspaper Marca even claiming that a pre-contract with the Scuderia has been signed.

But Dutch F1 journalist Olav Mol believes the Ferrari story is nothing more than pure fantasy, fabricated by the Sainz camp for the purpose of creating unrest at Red Bull.

It's a known fact that the Toro Rosso driver has been short-listed by a number of teams for 2018, notably Renault and McLaren.

Sainz says his ambition is to graduate to Red Bull Racing next season, but if that opportunity does not materialize he will likely leave Toro Rosso.

The comment did not go down well with Christian Horner who yesterday publicly reminded Sainz of two inalterable facts.

The first is that Red Bull will be racing with Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo next year, and the second is the binding contract which exists between Sainz and the energy drinks company for 2018, and which will keep the Spaniard at Toro Rosso next season.

Speaking on Dutch program Ziggo Sport, Mol says that Sainz is just trying to create friction and ultimately take advantage of an elusive situation.

"Sainz really wants to leave Toro Rosso," said the F1 reporter.

"He and his father - also sponsored by Red Bull - are stuck. They can go nowhere. By helping this kind of message to the world, they hope to sow unrest."

Sainz, father and son, were apparently called in to a meeting with Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko who set the record straight once again.

Marko said however that he would be prepared to let Sainz go, if Ferrari came calling.

"I told him last year, when Ferrari is coming, we can talk," the Austrian told Sky Sports News.

"But I met Gino [Rosato] last Saturday, and [Maurizio] Arrivabene, they didn't mention anything that they are going for Sainz.

"That's maybe the father who's dreaming more. The father is here, he talks to anybody who wants to listen. It's always a funny situation."

"I think he (Carlos Jr) is a bit confused," added Marko. "I can see it in his driving. He's made some silly mistakes this season already.

"The contract is crystal clear. You know in Austria we say 'You don't bite the hands which feeds you.'"

GALLERY: F1 drivers' wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter